Social media is about sociology and psychology more than technology. –Peter R. Scott and Jacka Mike
The number of social media platforms can be overwhelming, especially if you feel like you need to get on all of them. That alone would be a full-time job! Understanding and staying current with social media platforms requires a deep level of expertise and efforts to stay current. Using social media to accomplish personal or business goals is a complicated blend of art and science.
When you think about social media for your business, everything you do should be designed to establish and reinforce your brand. Great social media will educate, create curiosity, and attract people who want to learn more about your business or your products. Once you cover those basics, you can then explore paid options to increase exposure and drive specific behaviors. Always keep in mind that social media is not your online store or website. It is rare that someone will see one post, and click to buy. Social media is all about marketing and building an audience, not immediate sales.
Follow Experts, and Stay Current in Social Media
Understanding and staying current about social media platforms requires effort. Social media platforms are changing every day, and it is important for you to know the ins and outs of the platforms you are using to maximize your visibility. As a network marketer, it is virtually impossible for you to be an expert in all aspects of social media. Fortunately, you do not have to be.
Facebook is a great example. Have you heard the phrase “Facebook algorithm”? The often-talked about but seldom-understood “Facebook algorithm” changes all the time. What does that mean for you? In a nutshell, it means that Facebook decides who sees your posts unless you know how to work the system. There are several tips and tricks we could write about today, but I can guarantee you that they will all change by the time you read this post.
Lots of great entrepreneurs now specialize in social media and share their knowledge. Follow the experts online and access free or paid content, training, and even consulting services. We highly recommend you find experts you relate to who know your industry and target audience and stay up-to-date by learning from these experts as often as you can. Invest in free webinars and training classes to stay current on the latest techniques.
Here are some of our favorite lessons from the masters:
- For direct sales entrepreneurs, social media is a big way to reach your target market.
- Control your time and message on social media; be deliberate.
- Social media is part of marketing your business but not the only thing.
- Focus on where your people are. Know who is on each platform, and where to invest your time given your product or service.
- Use your own voice on social media. Do not simply copy and paste from other people. Be authentic.
- Post with a plan: strategic, thoughtful, and on brand.
- Maximize your reach with hashtags.
- Consider investing in a tool to manage posts and events.
- Master one social media platform before adding more.
- Always continue learning—stay on top of your platforms and the overall social media world. Do not be afraid to ask for help from experts, and learn from the masters.
If you’d like more of our tips about leveraging social media for your network marketing business, check out our new book – Honey, You Got This! Technology Made Easy for Network Marketers, available on Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle editions.